Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Talk about bitter sweet.

In the latest coaches' poll the Connecticut Huskies dropped out of the top 25 for the first time since 2003. A pretty impressive streak of 69 straight polls snapped with our third loss in the past 4 games. With losses at West Virginia, LSU and Marquette and then you take in to count that we have no seniors or juniors starting(or even decent bench players) I see why were not even putting up a fight against higher ranked teams.

Don't get me wrong though, by March I think we'll be in great shape to make a run. Putting my biased nature aside, I don't think this team is quite ready for a national championship. Were missing alot of parts at this point, such as down low presence, pure shooter that can hit a big three(like Rashad Anderson last year) and I would like to see A.J. Price develop a little more into a solid point guard. With all these things coming together, we could be cutting down the nets maybe as soon as next year.

Big Men:

Obviously when you have a 7'2" guy on your team he's going to be your big man, but Hasheem Thasbeet hasn't been that good offensively. Jeff Adrien plays forward but he's only 6'6", although he isn't really the height to play PF, he is one of the most athletic players that I have seen in a Huskie jersey in quite awhile. I think he would better be suited to play small forward, but right now, the only other guy that I think could play PF is Stanley Robinson.

Shooter:

We don't really have too many shooters. We have alot of guys that have good mid-range shots, and can create shots down low. The best shooter right now is Craig Austrie. Currently he is shooting 44% behind the arc. So he might be the answer for us. Another alternative would be Jerome Dyson. But he's only shooting 33% right now.

Point Guard:

Although A.J. Price is coming along very nicely as a leader on this extremely young team, I think he can improve even still. Right now he's averaging nearly 5 assists a game, which is good, don't get me wrong, but i'm just being greedy and would like that to be, oh I don't know, around 6.5 or 7.

Now for the good, the Virginia Tech Hokies have cracked the top 25 for the first time since 1996. After major upsets over at the time #5 Duke and now at the time #1 North Carolina. With the help of Zabian Dowdell's 23 points and Jamon Gordon's 17 points the Hokies were able to out last the Tar Heels in Blacksburg.

So my favorite college basketball team loses and they drop out of the top 25 and my favorite overall team gets two huge upsets and they crack the top 25. I guess this is where I take the bad with the good.

No comments: