Friday, May 11, 2007

Ladies and Gents, your NBA MVP...

[2nd Attempt]

The Dallas Mavericks forward, Dirk Nowitzki, has been named the 2007 NBA Most Valuable Player according to ESPN's Marc Stein. He will be receiving the award next Tuesday.


Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki, whose coronation as the first European-born Most Valuable Player in NBA history has been expected for weeks, is scheduled to officially receive the MVP trophy news conference on Tuesday in Dallas, ESPN.com has learned.

Nowitzki was undoubtedly the best player on the the best team during the regular season at least. The Mavericks went 67-15 this season and Dirk led them in scoring and rebounding. Before the playoffs started he was a- i'm sorry for using this word in the same sentence as Dirk- sexy pick for the MVP, I mean he did average 24.6 points, 8.9 rebounds, 3.4 assists per game and he shot 50% from the field, which are great numbers, are they MVP like numbers, hmm I don't know about that. And then you take into consideration his, and his team's colossal collapse against the eighth seeded Golden State Warriors that led to an early departure from the playoffs, well you can definitely start to see why some people may have been jumping off the bandwagon.

Personally I would've rather someone like Steve Nash win, I know, I know he's already won the damn thing two times in a row, but his numbers seem to get better and better each season as they did again this year. Another person who could've been a good choice is Kobe "this is his shot" Bryant. I don't personally like the guy, in fact I just plain hate the Lakers, but that aside, he had a great year, averaging over 30 points and 5 assists and over 5 rebounds per game. Another person who I don't think got any attention, at least MVP talk, is Carlos Boozer of the Jazz. He had a good season, 21 points, 12 rebounds and 3 assists per game(I rounded up, i'm lazy) but he's has been even better so far in the playoffs, averaging 24.3 points, 12.2 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game(I didn't round up this time, I just saw a Chuck Norris infomercial, he'd be disappointed in me). He led his team past a very good Houston Rockets team and he's bested the team that knocked off the number one seed. Eh, fuck it just keep it Dirk, even though you got donkey punched by the Warriors.

Said Nowitzki, reached by phone Thursday night: "Nobody's told me anything. You [media] guys have been talking about it for a while, so let's see what happens.

"[But] it's hard to even think about that stuff right now. Everything [from the Golden State series] is still pretty fresh. It's been some tough days since we lost."

"I thought this was such an incredible year," Nowitzki said. "We won 67 games and then to lose in the first round, it just feels so empty right now."

But nevertheless, Dirk Nowitzki is the your MVP and despite the playoffs, he was great this season.

Side Note: I really did have a much better post, before my internet fucked me, but oh well.

UPDATE: Ok, so apparently I forgot King James in the MVP discussions, sorry Ohio. LeBron James, again had a great season, 27 points, 6.7 rebounds and 6 assists. Those are no doubt MVP numbers. This had nothing to do with him currently kicking the ass of my Nets right now, no none whatsoever(wink wink).

No comments: