Thursday, May 03, 2007

David Pollack wants to play some football

All credit goes to Ryan Wilson over at the AOL Fanhouse for finding this one.

According to the Dayton Daily News, David Pollack of the Cincinnati Bengals, is aiming for a return to the NFL. I've posted many times about Pollack being my favorite defensive player on the Bengals and how devastated I was when he broke is neck in week two of last season against the Cleveland Browns.

Talking publicly for the first time in nearly four months, Bengals linebacker David Pollack said Wednesday night he is hoping to make a full recovery from a broken neck and return to the playing field.

I would be beyond thrilled if he returns to Cincy in '07, he's a great football player and an even better person. He's the type of guy that can command respect in the locker room with out saying a word, even despite his young age. He would go a long way to help veterans like Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson(yes, Chad, as much attention he gets, he's a good character guy) get control over this team. With guys like Odell Thurman, Chris Henry, Frostee Rucker to name a few, get their shit together and stay out of trouble.

"Absolutely that's what I want," Pollack said while signing autographs at the conclusion of the festivities. "If I get cleared to play football, I'm going to play football.

"There is no Plan B," Pollack continued. "It's all Plan A right now. If I get detoured from Plan A, then I'll start thinking about something else."

"I know there are plenty of other things to do out there," Pollack said. "But I'm a football player. And I want to play again."


As much as I want Pollack to play, we have to remember, he broke his neck. And the risk of him breaking it again is a lot higher. If he's cleared and doctors say the risks are minimal to him returning, then great, we have a great linebacker that would instantly be the best pass rusher on the team. But the risks of him breaking it again aren't worth him not being able to walk again or maybe even worse. He and his family have a very tough decision to make in the near future.

No comments: