Monday, May 07, 2007

Zumaya won't be throwing for awhile...out 12 weeks

When Detroit's flamethrower, Joel Zumaya felt a pop in his pitching hand while warming up Saturday, he thought he might have cracked his middle knuckle but after the team trainer rushed out to him, it was expected to be a dislocated right middle finger. He said he felt a "shocking pain" in his hand and was rushed down to the Tiger's locker room.

"I thought maybe my knuckle cracked," he said Saturday. "I went to a curveball and I couldn't even grip the ball. I threw another fastball and it popped again, and a sharp pain ran through my finger. I called down and said, 'I need a trainer quick.'"

Well the news today is worse
, after being examined by Dr. Charles Melone in New York today, he found out that he ruptured a tendon in his middle finger and will be scheduled to have surgery on it this Thursday.

Zumaya has a fastball that has reportedly reached in upwards of 103 mph and he had thousands of shirts made in his honor. He is being replaced by Aquilino Lopez in the Tiger's bullpen.

No comments: