Thursday, May 31, 2007

S-E-R-R-E-F-I-N-E wins the Spelling Bee

The winner of the 2007 Scripps National Spelling Bee is thirteen-year-old Evan O'Dorney of Danville, California.

The home-schooled eighth-grader easily aced "serrefine" -- a noun describing small forceps -- to become the last youngster standing at the 80th annual bee. He triumphed after a tense duel with Nate Gartke of Spruce Grove, Alberta, who was trying to become the first Canadian to win.

"My favorite things to do were math and music, and with the math I really like the way the numbers fit together," he said. "And with the music I like to let out ideas by composing notes -- and the spelling is just a bunch of memorization."

Evan, who tied for 14th last year, won $35,000 cash, plus a $5,000 scholarship, a $2,500 savings bond and a set of reference works. He said he knew how to spell the winning word as soon as the pronouncer said it.

Oh shit, I just remembered something...I don't care about the spelling bee. I don't mean to be a dick, but why does ESPN show this...but then again why do they show bowling, scrabble, darts, etc....

No comments: