Monday, May 07, 2007

Wait, Warren Sapp is skinny now(relatively speaking)

Early reports out of the Oakland Raiders mini-camp are that veteran defensive tackle, Warren Sapp has lost at least 35 pounds and according to the Raider's new coach, Lane Kiffin, said he has lost 50 pounds. Whichever the real amount is, it is the lightest Sapp has been during his tenure in Oakland. When asked by reporters this weekend on how much weight he's lost, Sapp said he didn't know and really has no need to know.

"Yes, it’s the lightest I’ve been. I don’t know how much I’ve lost. I haven’t seen a scale in the locker room; not looking for one. I feel better when I wake up in the morning. It’s a lot easier to get out of bed. Other than that, I just want to be in good physical condition to come in this thing and go. I looked at the schedule and we have to go to Miami at the end of September. I know what the Florida weather is like. I’m gonna spread the word. Florida weather is nothing to play with if you play football. It’s not like this (weather) here because I’ve been in it the last two months."

In other Raider news, recently acquired receiver, Mike Williams, has been sidelined with a pulled hamstring. Right when the drills started getting physical, Williams hobbled back to the locker room for treatment for his injured hamstring. This isn't quite the start that Kiffin had envisioned for his former player at USC, who has been sitting on the bench and at home for the past three years.

"However you want to phrase it, he's blown a chance," Kiffin said. "I think that he would tell you the same thing. This is a situation that favors the Raiders because this is Mike's chance. I think he's going to come out fighting, but we'll see."
It is expected that Williams will sit out of any other activities until the June mini-camp in hopes that it will give his leg ample time to recover.

No comments: